About the Merley

My photo
Loughton, essex, United Kingdom
Add me on BBM 2219680D http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=731575551

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Function and Meanings of Music in Editing

Function and Meanings of Music in Editing

-Music magazines use editing that is quick and in sync with the beat of the music.

- There is a rhythmic basis closely connected to the song.

- Editing: Edits in the music video come more frequently than it would in a film.

-Music film editing bears a far greater responsibility for many elements than does classic Hollywood film editing.

-The quick edits can sometimes be used to build up a montage and often tells the story of the video (progress the narrative).

-Balanced: The editing in music videos work hard to ensure that no single element (the narrative, the setting, the star, the lyrics, the song) gain the upper hand.

-When I come to make my music video I must ensure I have an even balance between images and the song itself.

- The video should not distract from the song but must also grab the audience’s attention, which is a tricky thing to do.

-Graphic Match: When editing sequences connect objects through colour and shape, this will create fluency in the video.

Some rules I need to consider when producing my music video:

-       Using a series of editing where different people/ objects are doing the same thing.  For example I could have a close up on some feet- and then a cut to someone’s feet running.

-      180-degree rule- ensures that I do not confuse the audience or disorientate them when watching.  The audience should maintain the same position between edits in terms of orientation.

-       30-degree rule- when you break the 30 degree rule it is called a jump cut- a sharp awkward edit that looks clumsy. Jump cut draws attention from the audience to the techniques that are being used.

-       To avoid this the camera should move 30 degrees between edits.

1 comment: